November Forage Management
November 1-2, 2018 all day
- Start planning ahead for next year. Identify weak links in the system. What can be done to grow better forage longer? What will make the system easier to manage?
- Start using stockpiled fescue. Allow livestock access to one to three days of forage at a time.
- To improve winter feeding efficiency, test forages before feeding begins.
- At the start of winter feeding, separate the herd into lactating and dry cows and give the best quality pastures to the cows with calves.
- Prepare water systems for freezing weather.
- Check with the Farm Service Agency and the Soil and Water Conservation District for available cost share assistance in forage program improvement.