Cost Share Information

Background and Purpose

The state funded cost share program is intended to provide financial incentives to landowners for installation of erosion controlled projects and practices that otherwise would not be installed. “State funded” means that public tax dollars from Amendment # 7 – 1/10th cent sales tax – are made available to soil and water conservation districts to reduce soil erosion. The locally elected supervisors determine cost share rates, decide on practices needed for the county and allocate funding.

Program Objectives

Invest state funds for conservation practices to conserve our natural resources: soil, water, forest and wildlife for future generations. Make landowner aware of how proper planning and land management will provide high production and environmental benefits.

Approved Practices

  • Woodland Protection Through Livestock Exclusion (DFR-5)
  • Permanent Vegetative Cover Establishment (DSL-1)
  • Permanent Vegetative Cover Improvement (DSL-2)
  • Permanent Vegetative Cover Enhancement (DSP-2)
  • Planned Grazing Systems (DSP-3)

Program Goals

Encourage the use of conservation planning to reduce erosion on highly erodible land.

Prevent environmental point and non-point pollution from agricultural sources.

Increase forestry and wildlife potential and production.

The maximum the district can cost share is 75% of the estimated county average. (One exclusion to this rule is the DFR-5 practice). If the landowner pays more than the average cost the district can only pay 75% of the average cost.

A soil test must be taken on those fields that you are seeking assistance on. One exception is the DFR –5 practice. Samples may be taken to MFA or the Extension Office. It is recommended that soil samples be submitted with several cropping options.

Listed are some of the most common options for this area:

  • Over-seeding legumes
  • Clover, clover grass establishment
  • Alfalfa, alfalfa/grass establishment
  • Cool season grass establishment
  • Warm season grass establishment

When you receive the results of the soil test, please bring a copy when coming to the SWCD office. At that time we will need to locate your farm on an aerial map and identify the fields the samples were taken from.

Once we have a copy of the soil test, an appointment will be scheduled with a technician to conduct a farm visit to see if the land meets all qualifications.

If the farm qualifies, one or more cost share application must be signed and dated. The applications will go to the district board for approval. The board of supervisors must approve your application before starting any part of the planned practices.

Once approved, a copy of the application and a worksheet with an estimate of the cost of components will be sent. Note – the practice must be completed and receipts submitted before the termination date shown on the application.

Seeding dates for approved practices can be found on the AGRON. 25 included in the approval packet. If in doubt, please contact the technician.

Once the practice is started, we suggest that you bring all paid receipts in as you get them. This will enable us to check component amounts to insure that cost share specifications are being met. Receipts can be brought in when the practice is completed but payment may be delayed if some components are short.

The following is a list of items required for all cost share practices:

  • All receipts marked paid, with the check number and date paid.
  • Seed tags (for calculation of pure live seed).
  • Fertilizer receipt showing cost per pound.
  • Lime receipt including weight tickets stating ENM.
  • Landowner Certification Worksheet if applicable (provided by District) must be completed describing the seeding process.
  • No-till receipt if applicable.

Receipt of Payment

Once all receipts are turned in, the technician will make a field visit to check that the practice meets all specifications. A claim form will then be signed by the landowner.

After the claim has been reviewed it will be sent to the district board for approval. When approved by the board, it will be sent to the Department of Natural Resources and a reimbursement check will be sent from them directly to the landowner. The check should be received within four to six weeks.